rotban

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino 2018: Introduction and Special Features Section


Hello, fellow Filipino moviegoer. Perhaps you've noticed that the lineup of films in your local cinema has changed. No longer are cinemas filled with Nostalgia-Inducing Corporate Product (TM) or Direct-To-Video Repackaged Horror Movie (TM)... at least for one week. You may ask yourself, "is this the MMFF?" and the answer is yes, kinda. In theory, at least, a better version of it.

Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino's second edition runs from August 15-21 in all Philippine cinemas. Eight  homegrown films vie to compete for your hard earned cash, and the pickings are anything but slim.

But before we head on to reviews of the main official entries, let's look at six additional films that made it into the festival under the Special Feature Films category. These are festival films that have screened over the past year and have received acclaim for their general excellence. They will be screening in a limited capacity, but I think they are worth tracking down. I've done reviews for all of them, so let me just enumerate them all here now for you:

Balangiga: Howling Wilderness was part of last year's QCinema. I liked the film, though I had my reservations. It went on to win both the FAMAS (yes, they have credibility now) and Gawad Urian awards for best picture at the same time, a rare feat in Philippine Cinema. The version screening in this year's festival is apparently a director's cut of the film, so we may have to revisit this movie soon.

Gusto Kita With All My Hypothalamus was part of the recently concluded Cinefilipino. Though I already had a high opinion of it from the start, it's the kind of film that tends to linger, and it's now one of my favorite films of the year. 

High Tide was part of last year's ToFarm Film Festival, winning best picture for that particular festival edition. It takes a while to get off the ground, but I liked the way it eventually went with its themes of environmentalism.

Kiko Boksingero was part of Cinemalaya 2017, one of two films from that year's lineup that I highly recommend. It's a lean, simple film that is full of heart, and the ending laid me to waste.

Paki, part of last year's Cinema One Originals, is my third most favorite film last year. Your personal experience may vary but this film made me ugly cry in the theater, I wholeheartedly admit.

And finally, Tu Pug Imatuy was one of the best films of last year's Sinag Maynila film festival. Its tale of a lumad community under siege by elements from the military is something people need to see.

So show these films a little love and catch them while you can before they disappear from cinemas. And now, reviews for the official entries.

No comments: