rotban

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Malaysia Diaries 3.1416: No title necessary

Hi Folks,

I just came back from a place called Kota Kinabalu, which is a city a few hundred kilometers from where I posted last time. You can reach it by plane from where I was in approximately 45 minutes. We decided to take the cheaper route: 90 minutes by ferry, then two hours by car. It was fun, but predictably I was asleep most of the time.

***

On route to our destination, our ferry would pass through a river and a strait, a space between two islands. The ferry itself is big, able to accomodate a lot of cars and trucks, and the airconditioner inside the passenger's lounge is freaking cold. One interesting thing I noticed was the onboard movie they screened. On the way to K.K. it was "Bride of Chucky." Now that made me raise an eyebrow. "A Horror movie? There are kids around!"

On the way back, it was a Takashi Miike movie: Dead or Alive 2.

Fun fun fun entertainment for the whole family.

***

oh, I managed to find barbecue-flavored Roller Coaster. Interesting... It doesn't taste all that good, though.

I also managed to taste this KFC's Curry Chicken. Imagine a hot and spicy piece of KFC, then put curry spices while you're cooking it. It's pretty tasty. Oh, and I finally managed to find two McDonalds (and a Burger King). It's a plague, I tell you. However, compare that to around 10 KFCs that I've found so far.

***

I took a tour of the University of Malaysia Sabah. I was very impressed. The place is freaking huge, and takes up the space between a mountain and the sea. I'd say it's larger than UP Diliman, and it has better buildings to boot. Pictures soon. You really have to see it to believe it.

***

Movie hunting: gosh, I've gone through a lot, so I'll jsut go through the missed chances and disappointments: Still no DVD of Sepet, no Hana and Alice with English subs, and I found a copy of Shimotsuma Monogatari starring Anna Tsuchiya and Fukakyon. No english subs on that one either. I did manage to dind Wong Kar-wai's Happy Together, but at the same time I missed getting the Thai Movie Beautiful Boxer.

Oh, and there's a franchise movie seller here after all: it's called Speedy, and ony through them have I been able to purchase legit DVDs.

Tomorrow I'm heading to the beach, then going home. Expect a postscript to all this soon.

Until then, excelsior!

No comments: