rotban

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

An Important Announcement

See ya later space cowboy
Hey guys, John here. Now that the C1/QCinema month is over, I'm making this announcement. Present Confusion will be going on what I call 'low power' mode for the next four or so months. Basically it's going to be a semi-hiatus, so this place is going to be (relatively) silent for a while. There are many reasons behind this, including personal reasons, but one big reason is that I'm not getting any younger, and writing is getting to be more and more difficult for me as things get more hectic, in terms of actually getting the writing done and managing to set aside time to write in the first place. It sucks since I really do enjoy writing for the site, but I also need time to recharge after writing continuously for several years (my last real long break was way back in 2011).

So what does 'low power mode' mean exactly?

0. I'M NOT SHUTTING DOWN THE BLOG. Don't worry, seven (yes, all seven) dedicated readers. However, I won't be as prolific as normal.

1. I won't be actively seeing any film fests for the duration of the hiatus, which means I won't be catching one going down in QC this November, and of course the 2018 MMFF. I'd already planned to ditch 4/8 films from the MMFF like I did last year, but this time I probably won't be writing about any of them. I might see one or two films from the festival, but don't expect reviews from this blog, unless one of the films is really, really, really good.

2. Expect less posts in general. Whenever I do get time to write things I can publish, they will be shorter, capsule reviews, and compiled into weekly/bi-weekly/monthly digests. I'm still not sure how that's going to work out, but if a post comes up here, expect something like what I just described.

3. I'll continue to review stuff down at letterboxd, though I usually shitpost over there instead of giving legitimate reviews. So follow if you wish, but don't expect much. haha.

4. One thing I will still post for sure is the year-end feature with my favorite films (local, international, whatever) of 2018. So expect that near the end of December.

5. If a film comes along that deserves an experimental(non) review, I'll see what I can do. No promises.

6. If a really great movie comes along (like top 10 material, or at least something exciting) then I might write something longer. Again, no promises.

7. I will still be continuing work for side projects like Third World Cinema Club (in association with Film Police Reviews). We have a lot of exciting stuff (and guests!) planned, so watch out for that.

That's basically it, thank you all for following the blog over the past 13 years and I'll see you guys at the movies (albeit far less often).

Present Confusion will be back in full force Super Saiyan 2 energy levels March next year. 

No comments: