rotban

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Cinemanila Diaries 5: Final Thoughts

Cinemanila 2005 has come and gone. I've watched quite a lot of new, great movies and I hope to do the same next year.

Well, just a few closing thoughts:

1) I thought the price reduction was great (it inspsired me to watch as much as three a day,) but I was a bit saddened that not a lot of people went to see it. Only a few people went to the screenings (the most being Ilusyon and Ala Verde Ala Pobre) and I was dismayed to see only a few people appreciating cinema of this quality and caliber.

2) Perhaps some segments of the festival could be made more audience friendly. Perhaps crowd pleasers would rake in more people.

3) There sure were a lot of gay men watching Masahista...

4) My pick of the festival, as far as the digital competition was concerned, was Ala Verde, Ala Pobre. When I saw the winner was Tuli, I wondered why - it really wasn't all that great.

5) I'm glad Korean cinema is being given attention this year. I was glad The President's Last Bang won an award.

6) My biggest regret was that I never got to see the films I really, really, really wanted to see. There were three: Pen-ek Rataranuang's Last Life in the Universe, The President's Last Bang, and Better Luck Tomorrow.

7) I'm glad, however, from the films and talent that I saw, that Philippine cinema has a bit of promise for the future. Good luck to all the filmmakers making films out there independently, following their dream and creative calling. Rest assured I'll always be there to watch them (or, at least, want to watch them.)

No comments: