rotban

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Present Confusion is Ten Years Old!

Ten years ago, I decided to start a blog of my own. Friendster was the shiz back then, and Youtube and Facebook were either in their infancy or non existent. I really didn't know what to write, so I decided to make it a bit like a personal diary and share whatever I had thought of at the time. I honestly thought the site would last a few years, tops.

Well, here we are now.

It may not look much, but I'm (slightly) proud of my little corner of the internet. To celebrate, here are some random topics about the site that I'd like to ramble on about. Come on. Indulge me.

Site Stats

We are a few hundred shy of 50 thousand lifetime views and two posts shy of 300. I wonder how much of that is spam and misclicks from other sites.  Oh well views are views.

My two most viewed posts are: this semi analysis of Sana Dati, and this roundup of Japanese Medical Dramas. Suffice it to say that the Medical Drama list is slightly out of date, and I am planning a follow up post to that soon, having seen a number of medical dramas since then.

The most common kind of person who browses at my site is a person from the Philippines using Windows as an OS and Chrome as a browser. Surprisingly over a hundred people used their iPod to view this site. That's amazing in its own way.

The most popular search term that comes up with this site in some way is... Cynthia Luster. Did you know that she had a cameo in Sinag Maynila's Imbisibol? She was one of the people in the karaoke party.

Also, if you type in my URL and mistype "Blogspot" as "Blogpsot," a weird  vaguely bible rapture based site comes up. It's trippy stuff.

Favorite Moments

My favoritest (DOES THIS WORD EVEN EXIST!?) experience writing for Present Confusion has to be my walkthrough of Mystica's Querido. Believe it or not, I enjoyed most of the movie for what it was, and I'd be the first person to take a look at Querido 2 if it ever comes out.

Oh, and did you know Mystica is doing Photoshop commissions now?

It's 300 or so pesos a picture.
Look at that picture. LOOK AT IT.

It's perfect.

***

I've made it a habit to write about Cinemalaya since 2007, and I've written about the festival yearly since then. My favorite year has to be either 2010, where my friend and I watched Cinemalaya films 17 hours straight, or last year, which was the one and only year where I managed to watch every single competition film.

Alas, times are changing and Cinemalaya is undergoing a transition this year - only short films and a retrospective will be shown. I'll still hang around and take a look at the films they have in store, but  it won't be the same. Luckily there are a number of other festivals which I will get to see, including the biannual Cinefilipino, the yearly Cinema One Originals, and the thriving MMFF New Wave section.

***

Closing Thoughts

I'll keep on writing for this site as long as Blogspot stays afloat. Since the big G acquired it, it's probably in no danger of going under any time soon. I'll still be making the random movie review or random thing as long as I'm interested. (hopefully it lasts at least another ten years.)

And once again, from then to now and until whenever, on with the show.

No comments: