rotban

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cinemalaya 2014: Winner Predictions and Shit Hits the Fan

Before I get to predicting the winners, let's talk a bit about a number of controversial events that have happened within the past day.

This matter of uploading all of these movies in the name of exposure for free (apparently without permission!) is unprecedented (in a bad way). The filmmakers who made these films are still trying to make money (often to recoup losses) by taking these movies to festivals, offering screenings, etc.

People may want blood. People may want to shut the festival down. Personally, I don't want to see this festival shutting down. What I am for is to have a comprehensive reform of how the festival is run, borne through a dialogue between the business guys and the filmmakers. I've been going to this festival for close to eight years. I've seen a lot of great films, and it's a joy to see these independent works reach a relatively large audience. I do not want this edition of the fest to be the last.

Why have videos for free when you can sell DVDs (or DVD sets, whatever rocks your boat) of the films? It's obvious from the growing yearly attendance of this film festival that there is a substantial audience who is willing to pay money to watch these films. This audience includes me, by the way. Why not VOD or some other pay per view model for online streaming?

Why not upload videos on a set of criteria:
1. The film has been released for more than ____ number of years
2. The film is not readily available on any other kind of media
3. The film has received the explicit consent of the filmmaker to be uploaded

If and only if it passes these three criteria, it can be uploaded. If it fails even one of these criteria, it's a no go. Why not something like that?

There needs to be some sort of explanation and some sort of dialogue between these two groups, at leas before the awards ceremony tonight. Or else, some serious shit is going to fly.

Predictions:

Oh yeah it's that time of the year again!


A.  SHORT FEATURE CATEGORY

Best Screenplay - I'd say Asan Si Lolo Me, or Nakakabinging Kadiliman.
Best Direction - Lola for this one.
Best Film - Also Lola. I'm biased.

B.  FULL-LENGTH CATEGORY

THE NEW BREED

Best Sound - beats me. Maybe #Y. I can tell you who probably isn't going to win. Hehe.
Best Original Music Score - K'na has this great soundtrack with traditional instruments and shit. I love it and I'm betting on this one.
Best Editing - Either Mariquina or Dagitab is going to take this IMO.
Best Production Design - K'na has this very unique look, so I'm voting for that.
Best Cinematography - Bwaya, hands down. Dagitab is a dark horse as far as I can tell.
Best Screenplay - if there's any script that really got to me, it's Mariquina. Also 1st Ko Si 3rd, but that's just me.
Best Performance of a Supporting Actor - Dante Rivero, if he qualifies as a supporting actor.
Best Performance of a Supporting Actress - uhhhhh?
Best Direction - you got me here.
Best Performance of an Actor - I wish I can award it to the four kids from Sundalong Kanin. Barring that, maybe Ricky Davao or Nonie Buencamino.
Best Performance of an Actress - This is going to be difficult. You have Mara Lopez, Mylene Dizon, Nova Villa, Angeli Bayani, Eula Valdez, Barbie Forteza, and Ai-ai. I have no idea who is going to win. I'll bet on Eula Valdez.
Best Film - I WANT 1st ko si 3rd to win. But I THINK either Dagitab or Mariquina will win. And who knows, a lot of people liked #Y and Sundalong Kanin.

DIRECTORS SHOWCASE

Best Sound - Maybe Hari ng Tondo.
Best Original Music Score - Only Hari ng Tondo made an impression on me.
Best Editing - The Janitor, probably.
Best Production Design - I bet the Janitor
Best Cinematography - Kasal
Best Screenplay - lol it's hard to judge if you don't like the films you're judging.
Best Performance of a Supporting Actor - No idea. Derek Ramsey?
Best Performance of a Supporting Actress - I want Aiza Seguerra to win for some reason.
Best Direction - you got me here too.
Best Performance of an Actor - no one really made an impression on me except Dennis Trillo and Miggs Cuaderno.
Best Performance of an Actress - NORA AUNOR 100%
Best Film - The Janitor, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if Kasal or Hari ng Tondo won.

Who will win? Will there be a full scale riot later? Fisticuffs even? I'm buying popcorn for this one.

Till then, see you at the next film festival. John T signing out.

No comments: