rotban

Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Adventures of Nothing

I can't believe Star Wars has made 50 million dollars in just one day, in the US alone. That's 10 million more than the previous record holder for the opening day weekend, which I think was Spiderman, and 6 mil more than the all time record holder, Shrek 2.
Well, maybe I can believe it. The movie definitely has replay value, mainly because everything goes fast the first time you watch it, you're tempted to watch it again just to absorb everything you missed the first time around. I have watched the film five times myself, which is impressive considering the most times I saw a film in a cinema was ten, and that was for Fellowship of the Ring, and those ten viewings were spread out over a month.
Speaking of major box office takes, I remember all the hype that surrounded the Matrix Reloaded. I remembered being very slightly disappointed at the Wachowski's version of a sequel, but nevertheless thought the fights were incredible (for some reason, they felt slower.) It did make a lot of money at the box office, so much in fact that I think the profits for the third movie in the trilogy were purely profit.
I rarely see a theater jampacked with people here in the Philippines. The most I think I ever saw in a movie theater was for the Japanese horror flick Ring, Men in Black 2, and Star Wars Episode II. There were so many people, their collective body heat overloaded what passed for the theater's air conditioning. There was no "standing room only" situation, because there was basically no standing room at all. Lines hundreds of people long impeded the traffic of mallgoers from one place to another.
As for Filipino movies, I saw the most people during a screening of Bridal Shower. Sex + comedy = teh win. We (or at least, our cinematic elite) goes nuts for films that have incidental humor, have all-star casts, "drama" that consists of people slapping each other, and a "socially relevant" theme. What happened to free expression unbound by creative constraints under the pretense of social relevance? Whatever happened to decent characterization and solid, untrite plots? Whatever happened to films of the sixties and seventies that did portray social relevance without being preachy or didactic?

* * *
I've been having a strange waking vision of a person I've never met before. It's a girl around my age, not really that attractive, with short hair and half-closed eyes. She wears a white cloth jacket and something black underneath. I have no idea who she is.
* * *
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Leon Kadena.

Reportedly her real name is Minamo Kusano. She's a very cute Japanese model, with traces of Eriko Sato in there and something entirely different. She doesn't do AV per se, but if you watch her videos, she does a lot of teasing - and that's it (which proves to be quite frustrating to most of her fans (read: maniacs) out there.)

I buy into her only because of the cuteness, however. I'm trying to get one of her videos *cough*BT*cough* but it is painfully slow - 1kbps to be exact - I'll probably be done next month.

* * *

reality show time!

Who do you think will win American Idol? I'm rooting for Bo. I think Carrie's performances are mostly flat emotionally, as if she's just singing for the sake of it. Plus, Bo is someone different, he takes risks, and he makes every song he sings his own.

Who do you think will win The Contender? I'm rooting for Sergio Mora. I just like the guy. He's smart, he has plans within plans without being too scheming, and he's a good fighter.

* * *

My download has progressed 0.1 percent. Excellent. 11 days to go.

sigh...

No comments: