rotban

Friday, August 18, 2017

Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino | Revisiting Ang Manananggal sa Unit 23B

(Read my previous review of the film here. This may contain a few spoilers, so I recommend watching the film first. I think it's worth it.)

I really liked Ang Manananggal sa Unit 23B when it first came out last year. Not only was it one of the most visually striking movies of last year, had I made a top 20 list of my favorite local films for last year, this film would probably be on that list. I then decided to watch Jewel and Rico's journey together again for the PPP and see how it holds up after all this time.

The version of the film for this year's festival has been re-edited in parts. In particular, the transformation scene in the climax seems to have been re-edited, perhaps to accommodate a lower rating. The film flows better than what I remembered, though aside from some of the sensual scenes I honestly do not remember any major changes from the first time I saw the film. In any case, I still enjoyed the film, and it holds up very well on second viewing.

One thing I noticed as I rewatched the film is that I saw it less as a romance and more as a horror film with romantic undertones, which helped me appreciate the film more. Like Cruz's first film Sleepless, this film is about two lonely beings finding solace in each other's company. The romance is kind of a bonus. They both struggle with the prospect of living life alone: Jewel with her probably hundred-year existence as an other, Rico and his life with his grandmother and his recent heartbreak.

The chemistry between the two seems strange, and it should be: Jewel is a nigh-immortal creature of the night, who views the other either as prey or as a curiosity. Rico, on the other hand, is confused by Jewel's seeming rejection of his affection, not knowing that for Jewel, bloodlust and desire are tightly intertwined.  It's not so much love that brings the two of them together, it's the crippling fear of being alone. And their decision towards the end is an affirmation of that need to be together with someone else, no matter the cost.

A skillful blend of horror and romance, there's nothing like this film out there. Catch it in theaters while you can.

***

Accompanying Ang Manananggal sa Unit 23B is the film Dorothy, whose premise I'd rather have you figure out for yourself instead. While I'm sure the film means well, the film rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I ultimately found it cloying and manipulative. 

No comments: