rotban

Sunday, April 05, 2015

This is the Post in Which I Talk About Leonard Nimoy


It's been a few weeks since Leonard Nimoy died, and I can't find the words to express my feelings about it.

I had originally tried to write about my experiences with Nimoy's Spock and with Star Trek, but the man was hardly just the character. Aside from playing everyone's favorite Vulcan, he starred in dozens of other feature films and television series. In his later life he used his distinct voice to carve out a niche as a voice actor.
 
Mr. Nimoy probably wasn't a perfect person by any means, and like all of us, he had his own share of personal problems, but thousands if not millions of fans around the world owe some degree of gratitude to this man, as a source of inspiration from the characters he played. (Myself included.) He was a man who dearly loved his fans and wanted to portray the characters that he embodied despite several announcements that he would retire.

I had originally planned to call this post "mourning Leonard Nimoy," but somehow it didn't feel right. Perhaps, I thought, it would be better if I had made this post to celebrate who he was instead.

I call to mind something Spock said in the Animated Series episode Yesteryear:

"Every life comes to an end when time demands it. Loss of life is to be mourned, but only if the life was wasted.
 
He lived a long life. He prospered. I think that's just about right.

No comments: