rotban

Sunday, August 18, 2013

RED quickie: Gal Basara


I just want to get it out of the way that I think the RED cable channel is awesome. Chinese, Korean and Japanese films all in one cable channel, 24/7? fuck yeah.

I was watching RED when I saw this film called Samurai Angel Wars (the Japanese Title is Gal Basara: Sengoku Jidai wa Kengai Desu), and it intrigued me. Were the Samurai Angels fighting with each other? Immediately this vision of winged sexy warriors battling it out with katanas sprung into my mind.

However, it's nothing like that; it's a character drama about these five people who went back into the Sengoku period and meet Nobunaga. Nothing REALLY happens, which is kind of disappointing, and you feel that the plot isn't written as cohesively (or as coherently) as it should. You also feel the movie could have focused more on the adorable actresses cast for the sake of adorableness, like Moe Arai or former SKE48 member Shiori Ogiso. But nope, they're nothing more than supporting characters.

There's another minor role filled in by SKE48 member Yuria Kizaki, and Mariko Shinoda comes out of nowhere singing Doraemon.

I guess there is some character development in the end but it isn't enough. I guess this is one of the rare times that you wish the movie really had been about winged sexy angel samurai instead of a grounded character drama with fantasy elements.

No comments: